Monday, May 10, 2010

Starter Stopped

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand... fail. Epic fail. Once again my sourdough starter died. I'm not sure what happens. Everything is going as it should - smelling sour, rising, bubbling - and then around the fourth day it just stops growing. And then I get discouraged and stop feeding it. This downward spiral is quick to turn once blooming and budding starter into disgusting, moldy, stanky gunk. Grr. BUT, all hope is not lost! Just when I thought I would never master the art of starting sourdough... my good friend Patty brought me some of her already-stable starter!! She got hers from friends, who got theirs from friends, and on it goes. So I probably have 100-year-old starter sitting in my fridge right now, ha. The first-born in me wants to jump out and say, "Throw it away! You can start it on your own!" But that ego doesn't always win. wink. Thanks, Patty Cakes... you've restored my confidence in my ability to totally mess something up and then borrow the real deal!


Stable Starter thanks to friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails